Refund Policy

(through spring 2017… the fall 2017 refund policy is TBD)

Refunds are determined and processed by the School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) in accordance with the following policies and schedules (see the SCPS page for possible updates):

  • Tuition and fees are refunded according to the applicable schedules listed below
  • Fees charged by the processor of credit card transactions, currently Nelnet, are not University fees and are not refundable
  • If payment is made by check, there is a 10-day waiting period after the check is posted before a refund can be processed
  • In the event that SCPS issues a refund in error, it reserves the right to reclaim such funds


Refunds for Credit Classes

Approved refunds are based on the following schedule:

  • 100% refund granted when a class is cancelled.
  • 100% refund granted before the class begins.
  •  80% refund granted after the first class but before the second class begins.
  •  No refunds are granted after the second class.


Drop Policy after Refund Period and other Registration Changes

Registration changes must be requested in writing. The instructor and educational innovation office ( must be notified of the request. Discuss all registration adjustments with your instructor, and your department’s CGEP advisor and administrative support.

Changes from Grade to Audit are allowable with instructor approval. Courses may be dropped (they will not appear on one’s transcript) if registration is cancelled by the drop deadline. After the drop deadline, one may withdraw from a course, with instructor permission, and a “W” will appear on the transcript to reflect the registration change.

To officially drop or withdraw from a course, submit
this form: UVA SCPS Drop/Refund Request.

If you mistakenly register for an on-grounds section and need to switch to the correct online/CGEP section of a given class, do not use the swap feature in SIS if the class has already started. Changes in your enrollment will need to be handled administratively. Registration changes, for this type of situation, must be requested in writing to the Office of Educational Innovation,