General Admission Requirements and Procedures:
- Earned baccalaureate degree in engineering or related fields from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Minimum grade point average of 3.0 or better in the last 60 hours of undergraduate study. (Individual degree program requirements may be higher).
- Submission of all required application materials as noted below for degree or non-degree status.
- Applicants must indicate the specific program to which they are applying and should submit (or have submitted) all supporting materials by the start of their first term.
- The non-degree (or visiting student) application is intended for qualified persons who desire professional education or who wish to apply later to a VEO degree program.
- Students admitted to graduate degree programs at other institutions (guest matriculants or transient students) may apply on a non-degree basis and take courses for transfer to the home institution. Written authorization from the student’s advisor is required and should indicate course approval and admission status in good standing.
- Almost all VEO courses are delivered in a real-time, interactive format. UVA believes that there is educational value in real-time interaction between faculty and students and between students. VEO students are encouraged and expected to attend their UVA courses in real-time. Exceptions may be granted by individual course instructors only on a case-by-case basis.
Non-Degree (Visiting Student) Applicants
The Visiting Student Form is required for the first term in which studies begin for those not admitted to a degree program. When completing this online form, make sure to select ‘Commonwealth Graduate Engineering Program’ from the drop down list of departments. This form allows us to add you to our Student Information System (SIS) and enables you to register for our UVA online graduate level engineering classes. The Visiting Student Class Registration Form should be completed next and sent to email@example.com.
The non-degree (or visiting student) application is intended for qualified persons who desire professional education through one or more classes or for those who wish to apply later to a degree program. Students admitted to graduate degree programs at other institutions (guest matriculants or transient students) may apply on a non-degree basis and take courses for transfer to the home institution. Written authorization from the student’s advisor is required and should indicate course approval and admission status in good standing.
An applicant must first create an account and then submit an application. Virginia Engineering Online does not offer all UVA Engineering graduate level classes or degrees. At the completion of the program one earns a Master of Engineering degree. Applicants are advised to keep this information in mind when applying. As the degree does not have a research component, there is no research area to select on the application.
- Three Letters of Recommendation (at least one from a professional contact)
- Official Transcript(s) of all previous studies
- Official GRE test scores ***see our Getting Started page for details on how to have the GRE requirement waived***
- Application fee
- Additional supporting information desired or specifically requested
The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) General Test is required for admission into all SEAS graduate degree programs. Scores should be forwarded to the UVA Graduate Studies office, code 5820.
NOTE: Foreign Nationals who are in the USA on an F-1 or J-1 visa must be enrolled in a full-time course of study. VEO does not meet that requirement. Prospective students with any other visa status should contact the International Studies Office to seek advice on whether part-time study is allowable.